The Tabernacle chapel was built in 1857 and is one of three welsh baptist chapels in the Welsh town of Talgarth. In 2012 it was auctioned off as part of a plan to reduce the working chapels in the town to only 1 as the congregation had shrunk.
Talgarth is in the Brecon Beacons, midway between Hay on Wye and Crickhowell and was once the most important town in Breconshire. It used to be home to the Mid Wales hospital which was the largest psychiatric institution in Wales. When it was closed down the town lost its main employee and unfortunately the hospital is now in a state of ruin.
Now Talgarth is showing a remarkable regeneration and is beginning to be a destination foodie centre. With the opening of the Melin Mill and its beautiful cafe and bakery ( the Bakers Table) , George Butchers, which has its own abattoir and supplies quality meat to many restaurants local and far afield and the deli next door which houses a lot of interesting welsh produce . Talgarth also holds a walkers festival and has a thriving community with a local primary school, festival and film “flicks in the sticks” event.